24 June 2005

LIVE8

My moment of activism.....

Okay - I have not sported any particular "wristbands" because I felt useasy about the proliferation of colors. Lance started something - but then it became diluted (along with other personal reasons for my boycott of the yellow wrist band). I supported the Breast Cancer wristband - but didn't wear it. For some reason - I am drawn to the lil white "ONE" wristbands that I picked up at the U2 concert in April. Maybe it's my childhood crush on Bono - and having them as my favorite band since thier inception? Maybe it's the concept - ending world hunger and poverty while fighting the spread of AIDS in Africa? Maybe it's the fact it targets children (a major passion in my life)? Maybe it's the fact that I am drawn to missionary work and someday hope to be in Africa myself? I am not sure - but I stand in support of www.one.org. Because of that I wanted to share a piece of mail in my inbox today..... 7 days to go for us, you and I, to make a difference. Please, if you have time, take a look at Live8 and the concert line up on the 2 July.


It's a weekend of ONE on the airwaves: Sunday, Bono of U2 goes on NBC's "Meet the Press" to discuss the potential for a real breakthrough in the fight against poverty at the G8. And Bob Geldof appears on CBS's "Sunday Morning" to talk about the Live 8 concerts and what they can do to help President Bush reach an historic agreement to help those most in need around the world.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As ONE, ending global AIDS and extreme poverty is a fight we can win: ONE million Americans are wearing the white band. Over 215,000 Americans have already signed the ONE letter, and next week, the President is expected to make a speech outlining his plans for the G8. Ask President Bush today to take the biggest step forward that he possibly can to make poverty history!!!!

Please ask 3 friends and family members sign the ONE letter to President Bush.

If you already have a white band - wear it on "white band day"
1 July 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home