15 February 2006

Random Challenge 2/15 from 2Peas

Random challenge for Wednesday

Let's face it, no parents are perfect,
they all do things we swear never doing it to our own kids.
What's some on your no-no list?

from burberrygirl


So here is he thing.... I try and try and try to not turn into my mom but it is nearly impossible. I think the phrase - "don't you role your eyes at me..." came out the other day....

But there are a few things that I do NOT (pray daily here) want to emulate.....

  1. I pray I never say "oh gosh darn yet one more school function, concert, play, theatrical thingy, game, whatever...." My parents had a way of making me feel guilty for being involved in after school activities especially if it required my mom picking me up....
  2. Not forcing my kids to eat if they are not hungry... their stomach is suppose to not be bigger than their fist....
  3. I pray to teach my kids about equality and Christ's love.... loving a person for who they are in Christ... not their skin color, culture, background, socioeconomic status, etc....
  4. I pray I teach my children about being a christian as opposed to legalistic rituals....
  5. I pray I am always open for them to come to me about any issues and I will listen non-judgementally while they open up to me and not only keep an open mind, think before I speak and pray for guidance when giving advice....
  6. I pray that we share snuggling moments for as long as they need to.... hugs and snugs were not handed out when I was growing up.
  7. I pray I always first act with trust in letting my daughters spread their wings and pray for their safety. My parents never trusted me and always thought the worst - when I gave them no reason to feel this way.
  8. I pray that I support whatever direction they take in life wether it's college, trade school, SAHM, starting their own business to peace corp work....
  9. I pray that I maintain my health with living healthy, making smart choices and seeking medical attention when necessary so that I am there for them years from now. My parents are very non-compliant patients, never made healthy choices in their diet, exercise or lifestyle and consequently were not able to be there for me in my teen years and beyond.
  10. I pray that I am able to provided a loving environment, realistic marriage example and strong self image so that their marriages are strong and they have a strong sense of self. My parents were and still are in an uphappy marriage and again - love, hugs and snugs were not plentiful in my household growing up. Consequently I struggle with this now. I think sometimes I smoother my kids but they don't seem to mind - they eat it up!
I know that my parents did the best that they could when they were raising me and never intended for any of these things to occur. Many things are my perception I am sure - but I am over zealous in making sure these things do not happen in my parenting habits.

Thanks Michelle for this challenge!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle W. said...

Those are some great things you listed! I think our parents did the best they could, and we are always trying to give our child an even better life than we had. From what I read that your kids are lucky to have a mom like you.

Michelle

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home