07 January 2006

The Great Taj!

WHAT A DAY! I am DONE and DUSTED!


So - we were up at the crack fo dawn (somewhere - not here) to eat and off to Agra. We got to our rooms this morning at 0130 and I was in bed ready to fall asleep at 0245. You do the math.... going on little sleep here!

We went to see the Taj Mahal (now known as the Taj). We had a wonderful cuisine of Indian food all day - and I think my pores are seeping curry. We just got back from our long trip to indulge in even more Indian food.

I drank enough water here - to float away! At dinner they came around with drinks and I spied this glass of "orange" fizzy stuff. I inquired to what it was and told it was "Mir Anda." So I ask - what is "Mir Anda?" and the response was "Coke." (Did I mention it was ORANGE). So I say "Fanta?" and the waiter says "ah, yes - we call it Mir Anda." So with my CURRY dinner I had my first FANTA in India. YES ANNA FANTA IS POPULAR HERE TO! (No pictures of that yet).

I have a funny FUNNY bathroom story to share with you......

So we are at the Taj and the bladder is SCREAMING. (It was a four hour bus ride and I am trying to rehydrate my desicated body from flying). We were directed to the bathrooms - which by the way was a 45 minute wait in line. We waited in line to pay 2 ruppes for toliet papers, a hole in the ground (a tiled hole) and no place to wash your hands. This story is not doing justice to how funny it was - but it was hilarious. Imagine if you will a line full of American women, intermingled with Indian Women. We are running around and around trying to figure out HOW we are going to wipe. Then we were told that we use our Left hand to wipe. You never eat with your left hand in India. Never shake a person's left hand. Furthermore - toliets in India are HOLES in the ground. Tiled holes (with a flushing system) in the ground. To get a Western Toliet you wait in a 2 hour 45 minute line. Now - imagine if you will all these women trying to figure out the balance for the hole..... Now add a 45 minute wait......

Okay - it's going to make a GREAT Scrapbook moment in my journal.......

We were able to minister to some people, fellowship with other believers and get to know each other on our team. As I sit at the computer screen trying to post this - I can barely keep my eyes open. (excuse the typos.) Tomorrow we will be up at the crack of dawn (somewhere - not here) packed and ready to get on the flight to Hyberdad. That's when we hunker down and get to work. It's amazing.... the love they have for God and the freedom of expression they allow. They are Sooooo hungry to hear more about God, learn more, see more, worship and pray with fellow believers. What's even more amazing is how little they have for resources (compared to us) but I feel like many of them are more spiritually developed and connected than I. We are so spoiled here in the US with our Christian support and resources. We really do take it for granted.

So I had heard there was alot of poverty here - there is. There is a stark difference between those who have and those who have not. There is no middle class. The children are wonderful! Such beuatiful children! Nat and Ro - you would have loved coming here!!!

Please pray my trip is a safe an quick one.

Natalie and Rowan - I am still known as the mom with the two beautiful girls at the airport. Lucy is still the favorite guest on this trip. When I checked in last nite Mat Bell remembered me from the conference. They said (you'll get a kick out of this Nat) that everytime they see my name they say "Mooooobileeee" you know like "Mogile" jungle book!

Okay - obviously I am tired.

I will post more once in Hyberdad!

Miss you all! Having a fab time! Taking lotsa pictures (which I will upload once in Hyberdad!) and journaling lots!

1 Comments:

Blogger amazing grace said...

so glad you made it and are doing well. HOpe you get some sleep! That's hilarious about the tp thing. what an experience.....:)

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home