28 June 2005

Journey thru the Psalms - 3

A David psalm, when he escaped for his life from Absalom, his son.
1 GOD! Look! Enemies past counting! Enemies sprouting like mushrooms,
2 Mobs of them all around me, roaring their mockery:
"Hah! No help for him from God!"
3 But you, GOD, shield me on all sides;
You ground my feet, you lift my head high;
4 With all my might I shout up to GOD,
His answers thunder from the holy mountain.
5 I stretch myself out. I sleep.
Then I'm up again--rested, tall and steady,
6 Fearless before the enemy mobs
Coming at me from all sides.
7 Up, GOD! My God, help me!
Slap their faces,
First this cheek, then the other,
Your fist hard in their teeth!
8 Real help comes from GOD.
Your blessing clothes your people!
WOW! David gives us an example of how we should pray during times of trials and stress. First he cries out - desparate almost (how many times have I been there?) "God - look they surround me and mock you hello, need help here or I am going to die." Then he steps back and rests (how many times after our cries of desparation are we exhausted and rest, nap, sleep, retreat....) and upon rising he is energized and READY to face whatever (in this case - his enemy.) He praises God's protection and realized that God, not himself, can only conquer the enemy (or situation).

Many times I feel foolish in the way that I pray out - in desparation. I feel like a child. But indeed that is how we should come before God, a humble ragamuffin child of God pouring out our heart, praising him, seeking deliverance from our situation and seeking rest and comfort in his arms. Duh, hello.... What an awesome timely living word inspriation for me this week....

Oddly - I have hit a wall this past weekend and reading this psalm has reminded me what I should be doing - instead of continuing to HIT THE WALL! I need to first stop, pray, praise and rest - depending on God for sustinence and comfort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home